A few weeks ago Stillwater was threatened with very bad weather. In fact, it's the closest a tornado has come to Stilly since Scott and I have been here. We have always been fortunate enough for the storm to miss us. Well this storm came right down Highway 51 which is the main road running east/west through Stillwater. We are about 4 blocks north of Hwy 51. We had gotten the bathroom prepared and put a mattress in with us. We had toyed with several ideas of going to my work and getting in the x-ray room (which is encased in lead) or going to Scott's office which is in the basement of the football stadium. (we will be going to Scott's office next time bad weather threatens) Our neighbors were kind enough to let Scott, Beasley and I into their storm shelter. It turns out our neighbor is a tennis coach at OSU. He and his family were super nice and definitely helped me stay calm. I figured if their 4 and 7 year old children were remaining calm, maybe I should stop freaking out. It was not fun being in the storm shelter, but like I said they really helped me to stop thinking about the fact that I was in a 7x10 ft concrete box. All I could seem to think about was "I hope that storm shelter door opens when this is all over." Scott and other guy stood outside until the storm was right on top of our house. Our neighbor has some pictures of the storm, which we will have to get but I have these awesome rainbow pictures. One was taken in the back yard and the other in front. They would line up perfectly if they were side by side.

I am so glad ya'll are okay. I understand completely that it's so weird living in the midwest and storm season being in the summer (instead of during the spring season down south). Call me next time...I'll probably be in my storm shelter (a.k.a basement) too!
ReplyDelete